Rooibos |10 facts about the South African Red Gold.
Rooïbos, informations insolites, ses bienfaits, ses origines.
What is Rooibos ?
I) Rooibos is often refered as tea (Camellia sinensis) or herb… But, it is a legume (Fabaceae)… Yes, the pea family !
2) Rooibos ?Aspalanthus linearis “Roy-boss” /ˈrɔɪbɒs/, like “Red-bush” in Afrikaans.
Often referred as Red Gold, Mountain Tea, Long Life Tea…
3) Red ? It looks more like a green bush with green needle shaped leaves and yellow flowers (making one pea ;-).
Rooibos leaves gets red during the fermentation process (oxidation). I would love to try green Rooibos.
4) It can only grow in South Africa (Cederberg Mountains, 250km from Cape Town).
5) There are more than 200 species of Rooibos.
6) It is ancestrally used by the Khoisan tribe as an medicinal plant for skin care, digestion.
7) It is caffeine-free & light in tanin. Tannin contained in tea can reduce iron absorption.
8) Rooibos contains less polyphenols quantity than tea but more varieties.
They are different from tea. It is the unique source of aspalathin.
Full of antioxidants and minerals it is healthy (anti-aging, skin protection, heart, allergies, digestion…)
9) It can be used infused in bath or directly on the skin for unbalanced skin.
Il peut être utilisé dans le bain infusé ou directement sur la peau pour la peau déséquilibrée.
How to enjoy Rooibos ?
10) It is traditionally served, hot with milk and honey. You can drink it hot or iced with lemon or infused with fruits.
It is possible to make it hot (infusion from 1 min-15min according to taste) or cold brew (8-10 hours).
My advice is to drink Rooibos for pleasure and wellness. For me, it is not a miracle superfood, as it can be read.
It is a precious healthy food given by nature.
Only be cautious if you have a hormone dependant disease (cancer, endometriosis) as rooibos contains phytoestrogen.
And here is a very nice video about Rooibos tea made by Rooibos Ltd